Dieser Beitrag enthält Werbung – advertising.
Aubergines (aka eggplant) & I – we did never become close friends. I’m fond of beautiful aubergines, but coming to preparing them I vividly remember some bitter, salty tastes, some rather undone oily vegetable… So I always tried to forgo aubergines.
Finally I managed to deal w/ aubergines in the oven resulting in a delicious aubergine cream: our topic for this post.
For the record:
I’m working hard on „Pasta alla Norma“, however, until now there wasn’t any outstanding success. (Especially my better half wasn’t convinced of the test series…)
Coming back to our aubergine cream…
What do we need?
It’s quite simple:
- an aubergine
- Greek yoghurt
- feta cheese
- spring onions
- dried thyme & dried sage
- ground sweet paprika.
We simply cut the aubergine into slices of about 1 – 1,5 cm.
Start preheating the oven to 175 °C w/ fan.
We place the aubergine slices on a baking tray & add lots of salt. Let them rest for about 15 – 20 min. The salt will induce some water on the surface of the slices. Pat them dry & spread some olive oil on them before roasting in the oven for 25 – 30 min.
In the meantime we chop the spring onions & start frying them. When beginning to get soft add the feta cheese as well as thyme & sage – not to mention some pepper.
As soon as the feta cheese is becoming soft transfer the mess in a bowl & let it cool down. Add balsamic vinegar.
As soon as the roasted aubergine has cooled down peel off the skin & save the pulp. Add some Greek yoghurt & puree w/ a handheld blender.
Add the rest of the Greek yoghurt & mix.
Add the ground paprika & mix.
Add the spring onion-feta mess & mix.
Drizzle some olive oil over the aubergine cream…
- 1 aubergine about 400 g
- 3 - 4 spring onions
- 100 g feta cheese
- 150 g Greek yoghurt 10%
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp ground paprika sweet
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying & some more for the aubergine slices
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- some olive oil for serving - optional
- a handheld blender
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C w/ fan.
- Cut the aubergine into thick slices (1 - 1,5 cm) & arrange them on a baking tray lined w/ baking parchment.
- Salt the aubergine slices generously & let them rest for 15 - 20 min.
- Chop the spring onions & start frying in olive oil - softly.
- Crumble the feta cheese & add to the spring onions after about 4 - 5 min.
- Add thyme & sage as well as pepper.
- Fry for another 2 - 3 min to soften the feta cheese.
- Put the mess in a bowl & add the balsamic vinegar - mix well.
- Pat the aubergine slices dry w/ some kitchen paper.
- Spread some olive oil over the slices.
- Then transfer the baking tray in the preheated oven & let the aubergine slices roast for about 25 - 30 min.
- Afterwards let the aubergine slices cool down before peeling off the skin.
- Mash the aubergine pulp w/ a fork, add some of the Greek yoghurt & process into a soft cream w/ a handheld blender.
- Add ground paprika, the spring onion-feta mess & the rest of the Greek yoghurt & mix well.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- optional: Drizzle some olive oil over the mess.
All we need now is some fresh bread…
The businesswoman w/ too many office hours thinks
Delicious! I like it – for happy hour, as appetizer, as part of a weeknight dinner w/ cold cuts & cheeses or so… My only (!) concern is that you’ll need quite a lot of time for preparation. For the taste it’s necessary to roast the aubergine – ok. Maybe I could roast 3 – 4 aubergines at the same time & then freeze the pulp for later use? Or maybe I could cheat a little… there are roasted aubergine slices in oil ready for serving at the deli counter in my trusted food store…