Dieser Beitrag enthält Werbung – advertising.
Potato salad is down-to-earth … so down-to-earth … Time to get it dressed to kill by adding an avocado dressing!
Potatoes are year-round vegetables & avocados are on their way. What do you think of replacing mayonnaise and/or double cream and/or sour cream by a real heap of mashed avocado?
This was my vision when creating this very special potato salad some years ago. We are still in the South aka Mediterranean area … having moved from Southern France to Northern Spain: it’s hot and a fresh cold potato salad is very appropriate – so I started to realize a humble version of my salad based on whatever was available at the moment. Fortunately you won’t need any special equipment …
So let’s simply start w/ the original recipe … later I’ll add some comments about my adaptions!
What do we need for a fresh potato salad?
- cold boiled potatoes (best from previous day or so!)
- cherry or plum tomatoes
- (some) fresh cucumber
- spring onions
- (some) cress
- (some) arugula
- (some) sour cream.
Of course we don’t need a whole fresh cucumber: about 4-5 cm of it will do perfectly. Cut it into thin slices & quarter them.
To drain the cucumber water (which might make our potato salad dressing runny when waiting to be served) add some salt to the chopped cucumber, wait about 5-10 min & squeeze the cucumber bits thoroughly.
Afterwards just chop the boiled potatoes, the spring onions & the tomatoes.
Chop the arugula & the cress.
Peel the avocado & discard the pit. Cut the avocados into pieces, add the sour cream as well as salt & pepper.
Mix all the ingredients for the potato salad.
Mash the avocado, whip the avocado-sour cream-mess until smooth & add it to the potato mix.
What did I change …
I worked w/ Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream, skipped the cress, worked w/ sweet onions instead of spring onions!
From the recipe you’ll get 2 servings as a companion to some roast or sausages or whatever … Otherwise there are 4 servings making an appropriate starter!
I made the potato salad w/ some leftover boiled potatoes … You may prepare a bigger salad (e. g. 8 starters or 4 main course companions) by just doubling the amounts.
- about 200 g cold boiled potatoes (peeled)
- 2 spring onions
- about 5 cm fresh cucumber
- 5 cherry tomatoes or plum tomatoes
- 1/2 packet cress (chopped)
- 25 gr arugula (a handful – chopped)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (a dash)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Cut the cucumber into slices, quarter them, add salt & mix.
- After about 5-10 min just squeeze the cucumber bits to drain the water – discard the water.
- Chop the potatoes & the tomatoes & the spring onions & the arugula & the cress.
- Mix everything.
- Peel the avocado & discard the pit.
- Add lemon juice & sour cream.
- Mash everything & whip into a creamy dressing.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add dressing to potato salad & mix thoroughly.